Monday, October 19, 2009

Before you call a photographer Part 1.

The following post is my response to the large number of inquireies I have received lately from people looking to buy photography for the first time.
It is intended to be an aid those new to the experience…here goes:

I got a call recently that went something like this.

Hi, my boss told me we need a photographer tomorrow, are you available?

My response: Possibly, yes, would you please tell me more what your needs are, budget and usage?

Buyer: not really sure, he told me to get someone to photograph our facility,
not sure how or what it should look like, it'd take an hour right?


Me: Could you be more specific? Is it for a brochure, website, press or something else?

Buyer: Uh, probably those, not sure.

Me: Can you give me a budget range?

Buyer: They didn't tell me, how much for an hour?

Me: Are the photograph's just documentary or do you want them to look polished ?

Buyer: Oh polished, for sure, it's to show off the company !

Buyer: I just heard it could be today could you come in a hour?

Me: What does the facility look like?

Buyer: Its a room full of computers and stuff.

This goes on for a while and then they put the job on hold.

This is not the first job offer I have received like this.

I got another call recently that went like this.

Buyer: Hi, my boss told me to find a Boston photographer. Are you available next Tuesday?

Me: Let me check my calendar…..Yes I am.

Buyer: Before you ask, I don't know how many shots, how many people in the
shots, what setting is, how they will be used, the
rights we need, but how much?

Whew !!

Photo buyers, before you pick up the phone, stop a minute and think about the
information the photographer will need to give a responsible estimate.

Responsible? What do I mean by that?

I mean an estimate that takes into account all of the parameters of the job.

It’s the photographer's job to get the project done as promised, on time, on
budget and looking great.

It’s the buyers job to get as much information as possible to the photographer.

Most problems I have encountered over the years occurred when the upfront stuff
wasn't done right.

Given accurate information, a competent professional should be able to estimate
pretty closely how long a photo production will take and what the costs will
be.

If your boss hasn’t spelled out the specific needs are, then do some research.

A professional photographer is more than a picture taker.

He or she understands that she/he is at heart a visual communicator. It’s our
job to sell a product, service or story through our pictues. Yes, they should
look great, but our main job is to connect with the viewer to get the desired
message across.

The great democratization of the web means that anyone with a camera and a
computer can hang a virtual shingle and call him or herself a photographer.

If a photographer's site has a whole lot of different subjects and styles grouped
together, it could be a sign that the photographer is inexperienced or lacks
self-direction. On the other hand, if you find a well- designed site with images
grouped with similar styles and specialties, you’ve found someone more professional.

Be sure to find the best match for your project.

Photographers have many specialties: food, people, products, architecture,
fashion, lifestyle and events.

Some of us are great at just one thing, others have several specialties. Their
websites will make it obvious.

Once you know what sort of photographer you'll need look at as many websites
as possible to see the range of talent available in your area.

There are also several online creative directories that list photographers
from all over the country. Being on the board of ASMP my first recommendation
is our search engine Find a Photographer. There you can find our member photographers
in most parts of the country. Some other directories include Workbook.com,
Creative hotlist and Photoserve.com.

OK, you’re almost there.
In my next post we’ll get to the nitty gritty.



?alt=rss

No comments:

Post a Comment